Title: Events Coordinator
Reports to: Events Manager
Connecting innovation and education to dramatically transform the way students learn, LEAP Innovations® leads the nation in developing and scaling personalized learning practices, technology and innovations in classrooms throughout the U.S. Located at 1871, Chicago’s premier incubator for technology and entrepreneurship, LEAP is quickly positioning Chicago as the national hub for education innovation. LEAP has also launched the country's most comprehensive personalized learning framework, as well as the first survey tools to measure practice in the classroom.
Sponsored by major foundations and donors, LEAP currently works with over 110 schools across the Chicagoland area, improving the lives of thousands of students. Winner of the 2016 Chicago Innovation Award for social innovation, LEAP Innovations is poised to increase reach and impact by deploying thought leadership, services and tools across the country.
The mission of LEAP Innovations is to create access to equitable, high-quality personalized learning experiences for all learners, ultimately helping each one to reach their full potential. LEAP operates at the intersection of educators and edtech innovators—researching and implementing personalized practices and tools.
LEAP is defining and articulating the teacher practices that best meet individual student needs; determining the school- and classroom-level models that best personalize learning; and constructing the research methods and tools to best evaluate the impact of personalized learning and edtech programs on student achievement. Similarly, from the edtech side, LEAP aims to help edtech companies utilize LEAP’s research and educator feedback to create tools that are more aligned with teacher and student needs.
LEAP has built a scaffolded trajectory of programming to accomplish these goals, including the LEAP Pilot Network, in which school teams select, pilot and evaluate personalized learning technologies and practices within individual classrooms, as well as whole-school redesign programs, in which school teams design transformative, school-wide personalized learning models.
VISION FOR THE FUTURE
The team at LEAP envisions a future in which there are no boundaries to learning – a future in which each and every student’s learning experiences in and out of school create a seamless, accredited, unique pathway that is tailored to that student’s needs, strengths, interests and limitless ambitions.
Over the next five years, LEAP will work toward this vision in two key ways:
Regional Expansion: LEAP will strengthen its impact by expanding its local work, serving an additional 165,000 students at 325 schools and developing additional focus areas such as early childhood, after school and juvenile justice.
National Impact: Through its work in Chicago, home to the third largest school district in the country, LEAP will build the foundation of tools, resources and knowledge to scale its personalized learning work across the country. These tools and resources include the LEAP Learning Framework, which defines and provides strategies for the implementation of personalized learning, and the LEAP Personalized Learning Surveys, which measure the degree of personalization in a learning environment and are now being used across 11 states. Additionally, LEAP will conduct rigorous research to aggregate and analyze data on teacher practice, student outcomes and product efficacy.
Reporting to the Events Manager, the Events Coordinator will support the events and marketing team and all programmatic and operational elements of LEAP. As Events Coordinator, s/he will support the execution of LEAP events marketing strategy and events for educators, tech companies, and other stakeholders, as well as be the first point of contact for external inquiries. The Events Coordinator will also work directly with the Communications’ team to expand LEAP’s presence through marketing, social media, and presentations at professional meetings and conferences. As part of the core LEAP team, the Coordinator will work cross-functionally to ensure the day-to-day operations meet the long-term strategic vision for the organization.
Program and Event Execution
- Serve as first point-of-contact for LEAP programs and events to ensure smooth, professional execution of all LEAP-sponsored and partner events
- Design a strategy for engaging mission-aligned partners with LEAP’s work through hosted and partner driven events.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with national and local education partners and stakeholders
- Lead support for events and meetings, including logistics, catering, materials production and distribution, and AV support as needed for internal and external stakeholders
- Manage, analyze and post-event surveys and capture feedback collection to inform LEAP’s impact metrics to the broader team
- Support LEAP’s presence at national, regional and local education conferences by developing materials and supporting session design
Stakeholder Management and Communications
- Oversee LEAP’s presence at professional meetings and conferences, including developing a master calendar of speaking opportunities, help draft and produce speaker collateral, and coordinate travel and logistics
- Recommend social media marketing tactics to drive awareness of and around events and speaking engagements
- Design and draft event announcements and session content
- Draft event copy for website
- Maintain accurate records of participating educators, school teams, companies, and other partners, including managing contacts via the organization CRM platform.
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. You should be a confident self-starter, highly organized and detail-oriented. In addition, the candidate will have
- A bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience
- A minimum of 3 years of event planning experience
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills for both formal prose and informal correspondence
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects concurrently
- Outstanding organizational and creative problem solving skills, with comfort executing in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible and innovative approach to working with teams
- Experience and comfort with Microsoft Office and Google Apps Experience working with or ability to quickly learn the Adobe Creative Suite
- Comfort with flexible work hours to align with programmatic needs
- Demonstrated grit, energy, positivity, optimism, and humor
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Excellent health benefits, 401K plan and group life insurance.
Start Date: Position currently available.