Associate Managing Director, Development
The Associate Managing Director, Development is an accomplished development leader with a proven track record of creating and implementing strategies to cultivate donors and multi-million dollar contributions in support of mission-based organizations. Success in this role is dependent on the cultivation of both a strong personal local donor network in Chicago and key national foundations, close coordination with the LEAP Board, and a strategic mindset to identify new revenue-generating channels, including government contracts and grants.
As the leader of the Development team, the Associate Managing Director will build upon the nearly $35 million LEAP has raised to date from incredible local and national donors by helping us meet an ambitious fundraising goal of more than $20 million over the next two years. The Associate Managing Director will also lead the development of a HNWI network, partner closely with LEAP’s CEO and serve as a bridge between LEAP’s mission-based success and external constituents with an interest in the financial health of the organization.
Fundraising Strategy Development:
- Develop and lead overall fundraising strategy including individual donors, foundations, and government grants that meet LEAP’s annual fiscal requirements.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of LEAP that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors.
- Create strategy-aligned short- and long-range fund development plans and programs that support LEAP’s values, mission and overall objectives.
Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are executed with excellence in keeping with LEAP’s mission and growth trajectory.
Solicit and secure major gifts, building a national HNWI network and portfolio of repeat large-giving donors.
Manage the CEO’s donor portfolio and a personal portfolio (individual, corporate and foundation donors) by communicating in a timely manner and cultivating and building relationships.
Oversee the development and writing of foundation, corporate and government proposals and solicitation materials and collaborate with the Marketing/Communications team to develop key messaging, pitch decks, one-pagers, and annual report.
- Set goals for performance that align with LEAP’s core values, fundraising strategy and KPIs, and vision and communicate them to direct reports and team.
- Supervise and mentor development team and ensure appropriate prospect research and follow up is delivered.
- Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks. monitor employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
Reporting & Systems:
- Confirm sound fiscal operation of functional area including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of grant/contribution income, expense budgets and reporting.
- Maintaining accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
- Ensure proper benchmarking and evaluation protocols are in place to support fund development.
- Ensure design and maintenance of process to track donor and prospect records.
- Inform CEO and Board of Directors on condition of LEAP’s development program and on all important factors influencing it.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment where expectations are high for quality and goal achievement within accelerated timeframes. They will have the following:
10+ years of experience showing progression as a fundraising leader
5+ years of staff supervisory experience
Demonstrated record of achievement as a development leader with a track record of success in creating and implementing strategies to cultivate donors and multi-million dollar contributions
Proven success personally securing major gifts at the six-figure level and above
Demonstrated skills as a financially literate development leader with the ability to serve as an interpreter between LEAP’s financial management team and external audiences
Experience in designing and overseeing appropriate fundraising systems, including donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition
Ability to travel outside of Chicago as needed
Acute attention to detail and organization skills
Demonstrated project management skills
Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity
Ability to work in cross-functional teams and drive collaborative work
Passion for education and meaningful social impact
Strong presentation and group facilitation skills
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Excellent written/visual and oral communication skills
- MBA or equivalent
- Membership in a professional fundraising association
- An understanding of the personalized learning and edtech space
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Excellent health benefits, 403b plan, group life insurance and generous PTO.
Start Date: Position currently available.
Application: Phone inquiries are not accepted. Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Please include position name in the subject line of your email.