Associate Managing Director, Development
The Associate Managing Director, Development is an accomplished development leader with a proven track record of creating and implementing strategies to cultivate donors and multi-million dollar contributions in support of mission-based organizations. Success in this role is dependent on the cultivation of both a strong personal local donor network in Chicago and key national foundations, close coordination with the LEAP Board, and a strategic mindset to identify new revenue-generating channels, including government contracts and grants.
As the leader of the Development team, the Associate Managing Director will build upon the nearly $35 million LEAP has raised to date from incredible local and national donors by helping us meet an ambitious fundraising goal of more than $20 million over the next two years. The Associate Managing Director will also lead the development of a HNWI network, partner closely with LEAP’s CEO and serve as a bridge between LEAP’s mission-based success and external constituents with an interest in the financial health of the organization.
Fundraising Strategy Development:
- Develop and lead overall fundraising strategy including individual donors, foundations, and government grants that meet LEAP’s annual fiscal requirements.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of LEAP that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors.
- Create strategy-aligned short- and long-range fund development plans and programs that support LEAP’s values, mission and overall objectives.
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are executed with excellence in keeping with LEAP’s mission and growth trajectory.
- Solicit and secure major gifts, building a national HNWI network and portfolio of repeat large-giving donors.
- Manage the CEO’s donor portfolio and a personal portfolio (individual, corporate and foundation donors) by communicating in a timely manner and cultivating and building relationships.
- Oversee the development and writing of foundation, corporate and government proposals and solicitation materials and collaborate with the Marketing/Communications team to develop key messaging, pitch decks, one-pagers, and annual report.
- Set goals for performance that align with LEAP’s core values, fundraising strategy and KPIs, and vision and communicate them to direct reports and team.
- Supervise and mentor development team and ensure appropriate prospect research and follow up is delivered.
- Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks. monitor employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
Reporting & Systems:
- Confirm sound fiscal operation of functional area including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of grant/contribution income, expense budgets and reporting.
- Maintaining accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
- Ensure proper benchmarking and evaluation protocols are in place to support fund development.
- Ensure design and maintenance of process to track donor and prospect records.
- Inform CEO and Board of Directors on condition of LEAP’s development program and on all important factors influencing it.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment where expectations are high for quality and goal achievement within accelerated timeframes. They will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of experience showing progression as a fundraising leader
- 5+ years of staff supervisory experience
- Demonstrated record of achievement as a development leader with a track record of success in creating and implementing strategies to cultivate donors and multi-million dollar contributions
- Proven success personally securing major gifts at the six-figure level and above
- Demonstrated skills as a financially literate development leader with the ability to serve as an interpreter between LEAP’s financial management team and external audiences
- Experience in designing and overseeing appropriate fundraising systems, including donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition
- Ability to travel outside of Chicago as needed
- Acute attention to detail and organization skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams and drive collaborative work
- Passion for education and meaningful social impact
- Strong presentation and group facilitation skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written/visual and oral communication skills
- MBA or equivalent
- Membership in a professional fundraising association
- An understanding of the personalized learning and EdTech space
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Excellent health benefits, 403b plan, group life insurance and generous PTO.
Start Date: Position currently available.
Application: Phone inquiries are not accepted. Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Please include position name in the subject line of your email.