Data Management Intern
Connecting innovation and education to dramatically transform the way students learn, LEAP Innovations® leads the nation in developing and scaling personalized learning practices, technology and innovations in classrooms throughout the U.S. LEAP launched the country’s most comprehensive personalized learning framework, as well as the first survey tool to measure personalized learning practice in the classroom.
Sponsored by major foundations and donors, LEAP currently works with over 140 schools across the Chicagoland area, improving the lives of thousands of students. Winner of the 2018 Golden Apple Impact Award and 2016 Chicago Innovation Award for social innovation, LEAP Innovations is poised to increase reach and impact in the personalized learning space by deploying thought leadership, services and tools across the country.
The mission of LEAP Innovations is to transform education nationwide into a uniquely personal experience, designed to prepare, empower and inspire all learners to ignite their unlimited potential. LEAP operates at the intersection of educators and edtech innovators—researching and implementing personalized practices and tools.
LEAP is defining and articulating teacher practices that best meet individual student needs; determining school- and classroom-level models that best personalize learning; and constructing research methods and tools to best evaluate the impact of personalized learning and edtech programs on student achievement. Similarly, from the edtech side, LEAP aims to help edtech companies utilize its research and educator feedback to create tools that are more aligned with teacher and student needs.
VISION FOR THE FUTURE
The team at LEAP envisions a future in which there are no boundaries to learning – a future in which each and every student’s learning experiences in and out of school create a seamless, unique pathway that is tailored to that student’s needs, strengths, interests and limitless ambitions.
Through its work in Chicago, home to the third largest school district in the country, LEAP will build the foundation of tools, resources and knowledge to scale its personalized learning work across the country. Our current tools include the LEAP Learning Framework, which defines and provides strategies for the implementation of personalized learning, and the LEAP Personalized Learning Surveys, which measure the degree of personalization in learning environments. These surveys are now used in almost 400 schools, across 23 states. Additionally, LEAP will develop and scale new products and program services to drive teacher practice, school redesign and product efficacy in personalized learning across the country.
The Data Management Intern will help support existing data workflows, the transition to a new data management platform, and the creation of a new data warehouse. The Data Management Intern will help improve aspects of LEAP’s overall data workstream including data transfers, quality control, cleaning, tidying, and storage in order to create an easily queryable data warehouse that supports LEAP’s various research, reporting, and analytic needs. Minimum 15-20 hours/week from approx. October 2019-May 2020.
- Help manage various data transfer tools & scripts (e.g. APIs, SFTP, S3 buckets) to facilitate data transfers between LEAP and our partner districts, vendors, & contractors
- Develop and maintain scripts to ensure data quality, including all necessary tests, checks, remediation, and summary reporting (e.g. meta-data)
- Develop and maintain scripts to clean, tidy, and transform data in preparation for storage (e.g. ETL processes)
- Troubleshoot errors and/or data quality issues caused by data transfers, transformation scripts, or platform problems
- Contribute to the development & maintenance of data management documentation (e.g. flow charts, playbooks)
- Assist other members of the research team in various data related tasks
- Support collaboration among team members & contribute to a positive work environment
*Duties, responsibilities and work related activities may change at any time with or without advance notice to support the organization’s growth trajectory.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment where expectations are high for quality and goal achievement within aggressive timeframes. He/she will have the following:
- B.S., or equivalent degree, or higher, in computer science or a data-related field (two years completed coursework required); candidates with work experience or graduate coursework preferred
- Demonstrated work management skills, including the ability to own small-to-mid-sized workstreams, and provide day-to-day support to more complex projects and tasks
- Experience with coding, data management concepts & toolkit (SQL, database schemas) required; experience with data science toolkit & programming languages (R, Python) preferred; experience with networks or cloud computing (AWS) a plus
- Acute attention to detail, commitment to quality, and strong work ethic; demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Comfort with ambiguity/not-knowing; willingness to learn new skills and apply them on the job
- Demonstrated project management skills, including flexibility and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional teams supporting collaborative work
- Strong presentation and group facilitation skills, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, written/visual and oral communication skills
Start Date: Position currently available.
Application: Phone inquiries are not accepted. Please email resume to email@example.com to apply. Please include the position name in the subject line of your email.