The LEAP Learning Framework™ is the foundation for all of our work.
The LEAP Learning Framework is the guiding vision for LEAP Innovations. Our definition of personalized learning lies within the construct of its four core components.
Personalized learning is focused on, led with and demonstrated by the learner, and is connected to career-relevant, real-world skills and opportunities.
The LEAP Learning Framework Components
Learners are empowered to holistically understand their needs, strengths, and interests.
- Deepen their understanding of themselves holistically, including:
- academic needs, strengths, and interests
- physical and mental health
- social and emotional learning
- cognitive skills (i.e. focus, working memory)
- identity and culture
- social and community context
- Experience learning that is relevant, challenging, contextualized, and designed for their individual needs, strengths, and interests
Learners are entrusted to take ownership of their learning.
- Articulate their needs, strengths, and interests
- Partner in setting their learning goals
- Partner in shaping their learning pathways and experiences
- Assess, monitor, and reflect on their progress
- Advocate for needed support from teachers, peers, technology, and other sources
Learners can progress at their own pace based on demonstrated mastery.
- Begin at a challenging level appropriate to their prior knowledge and learning needs
- Receive feedback on effort, process, and mastery throughout every learning experience
- Advance or go deeper upon demonstration of mastery
- Demonstrate learning in multiple ways
- Receive recognition based on demonstrated mastery, not time
Learning transcends location in relevant and valued ways, connected to families, educators, communities, and networks.
- Collaborate with peers, family, educators, and others
- Cultivate meaningful relationships
- Advance opportunities through connections
- Engage in real-world experiences to develop:
- Academic skills and knowledge
- Community and civic engagement
- Workplace experience
- Earn valued recognition for all learning, regardless of where and when it happens
About the Learning Framework
Our work at LEAP Innovations centers around helping make modern learning science and research actionable in real-world classrooms, and the LEAP Learning Framework is our main resource for doing this. It details the key pillars of a personalized learning experience and is supplemented by tangible strategies to help teachers deliver them.
Since 2014, we’ve built out and refined the Learning Framework with structured research reviews and the invaluable contributions of a diverse range of experts from around the education field. It guides all our work to catalyze and ignite education transformation.